Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Running into history

I've come to the conclusion that the English from the Tudor and Elizabethan Eras must have been perpetually uncomfortable. The National Portrait Gallery gave me the opportunity to observe this. In every portrait, the subjects sit so awkwardly and smile unconvincingly, if at all. I liked the exhibit though, it was the easiest history lesson I've ever had, and it was an accident to learn anything at all! Out of all the people I met at the Portrait Gallery, I liked Queen Elizabeth I and Lady Jane Grey best. Jane was Queen of England for 9 days, appointed in King Edward VI's will to carry on Protestant England, but then was captured by Mary I supporters (Roman Catholics). But after killing a bunch of people, Mary died, and that's when Elizabeth stepped in! She was great! And that's the History of London! (brevity spares you from boredom)
I love all the sidewalk tile mosaic entrances to buildings The National Portrait Gallery has one, and even the Hardware Store that I live above has one! I guess English people have a lot of pride in old-looking things.
London is great! I've barely had any jet-lag, so I've been getting up at normal hours to go explore. It's a lot of fun, even though the weather has been mainly gray and rainy. Usually I find cool, free, touristy things, but London has a lot of less popular, but equally cool things too. On one walk, I found Tavistock Square which has a large statue of Ghandi in the center.
The park has more trees an benches than the average London square, most of which are dedicated with a plaque noting the donor or honoree. It's really cool - lots of peace groups and Indian leaders and Mayors of various London boroughs. Yay independence!
Also I've noticed a lot of thoughtful old Londoner men hang out here to read newspapers and smoke their pipes. It's a reassuring sight - I'm glad those men still exist in more than just my imagination.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that square looks neato!
-brother L