Sunday, November 11, 2007

NUTS roasting, on an open fire.

That subject is a Lawyer family inside joke. I'm sorry if you're not on the inside, but it's really funny. You're missing out.

I was a block away from the Queen today! It is Remembrance Sunday, so many many proud people attended the solemn ceremony on Whitehall Street. Patriotism is interesting in a country that has been involved in such a long history of wars and service. The ceremony was obviously well rehearsed probably because it's been an annual tradition for 87 years. I'm guessing that the metal detectors at the entrance to Whitehall are a more recent addition to the ceremony. The Queen was the first of many to lay a wreath in memory of troops on the Centograph. There was a long moment of silence sandwiched in the middle of great live British band music and some occasional bagpipes.

It's beginning to look a little bit like Christmas in London! Oxford Street is decorated and everyone is strongly urged to be a busy Christmas shopper. The window displays are particularly festive. The multiple ice rinks are popular and well zambonied. And most importantly, I bought roasted chestnuts from a street vendor guy outside the British Museum! And while we're preemptively celebrating things, let me inform you that there's only 44 days until the new year!! Happy Easter!!

No comments: