Thursday, February 1, 2007

We have been at the Sau Paulo Garulhas International Airport for 9 hours and we have 6 hours to go. It's been very boring and all we want to do is go home. We had breakfast, then sushi and we have been sitting in the same two chairs next to an outlet watching movies and shows from Rachel's lappy. We also made a scavenger hunt to make the time pass more quickly with things like: jumpsuit, open fly, twins, acid wash pants, etc.



We have been waiting around for many days now. As soon as we got back from the second day of beaches we fell asleep and then I got sick. I got too dehydrated and fainted whenever I got out of bed to use the bathroom or fill up my water bottle. In the morning, Rachel and the hostel receptionist called the doctors and two came up to the room. They did normal doctor things (except they didn't speak English) and then hooked me up to two IVs at once. I was pretty scared since I hate needles a lot, but it helped. We cancelled our boat tour plans that day because I still didn't feel great. We caught our 12 hour bus ride to Sau Paulo at 20:05 and then another bus to the airport and since then we haven't moved much.



The hostel in Florianopolis was very nice. I'm so glad we stayed there because there were a lot of helpful translators for me and the doctors and the workers also were very helpful in answering questions.



We asked one where to find a good Cachaceria and she directed us to Cachaceria da Ilha where we got 5 free shots along with our Caipirinas. Oh, being two American girls in Brasil . . . Good thing we're careful and keep an eye on eachother! Brasilian men can be very flirty in an uncomfortable way. A guy at the hostel asked to "show us something" upstairs this morning, but he wouldn't tell us what it was. He said "you'll see," when we asked, so we said we didn't want to go.



The second beach day was our breaking point. It was so much fun and so beautiful but it was just a few too many hours in the direct sunlight. We hiked around the dunes, climbed some rocks next to the beach, and checked out two really great beaches. Rachel has sunburns on her knees, back, stomach, shoulders, chest and left ear. I have sunburns on my stomach, thighs, lower back, armpit-region, and inner arms. It makes travelling extremely comfortable.

No comments: