Monday, January 22, 2007

Emergency!





















I learned today that Brasilian hospitals are much beter than I had shallowly assumed. And on a less positive note, I did not see any monkeys in the rainforest. Rainforests are NOT teeming with monkeys. It is a disappointing fact of life.
On our day off from the festival, everyone got to choose from four touristy options which trip they wanted to go on. Myself and several other American friends and the same amount of Brasilians chose the rainforest four instead of two beach options and an amusement park. We went to a place that had 14 waterfalls (catotze cachoeiras). I can't tell what they're called, but I don't think it's the really famous one that is also somewhere in south Brasil. This one was only 30 minutes away by a very scary bus ride. Our driver didn't really like using the break, even on the dirt road to the park.
First we hiked up a trail to the 14th waterfall, and then we hiked back down a trail, stopping at each waterfall on the way. The trails were trecherous, muddy, steep, and full of rocks. Many people got mud stains from falling, and one person got something a little more permanent! Lizzie fell at the 6th waterfall trying to get a good picture (great photog that she is) and after some of our Brasilian friends took pictures of her falling, our tour guide came down to the rescue with his first aid kit and relayed to us that she would need stitches. After lunch, Lizzie, two stand-in translators, and I went to the emergency room in Jaragua. She got three stitches and she said it was done very well and very cleanly. And the icing on the cake - it took all of ten minutes in and out the door! We were impressed. No line at the emergeny room? That's unheard of! Plus, there was no fee. The Farmacia down the street helped us find bandaids, a neosporin-like thing, and such. But they did not carry any monkeys.

No comments: